So I guess I left off with the lovely email that Kathryn sent me. I took a few days to vent over this and then I responded with another email. Basically I just said a few things which I thought were important, such as:
*"I am sorry that Corinna and Celeste misinformed you so many times. However, the fact of the matter is that neither Corinna, nor Celeste is your landlord, nor is it their money to say "don't worry about it"."
*"As far as the security deposit goes, I too have read the lease agreement. It states in that the apartment is lease in "As is" condition, meaning that you accept the apartment in the condition that is in"
*"Unfortunately, the townhouse is rundown. People have been in and out of that place for almost 5 five years now. The things that you are having issues with, are the same things I had problems with, and the same things the girl before me had problems with. However, we did not cause these problems, they were there when we moved in. Thus, it is not our responsibility to fix these items. Just as it is not your responsibility to fix them either. As long as the apartment is in basically the same condition when you move out, you too would receive your deposit back"
*"I do believe I am entitled to a full refund on my security deposit. However, I would be willing to accept $325. The door definitely does not cost $150. Therefore, I am willing to say $25 for the door and $50 for the time which you spent cleaning"
Those were basically the main points I hit and it was really a nice letter. I waited and waited and never heard back from her. So then I called up my friend Kyle who went to UNC law school and lives in the DC area. I told him my dilemma and asked him if he could help out. After clearing it with his boss, Kyle became my "lawyer". I probably shouldn't put that in quotes because he really was my lawyer. However, before doing something crazy like filing a lawsuit Kyle suggested I call up the bishop of the ward. So I did. I called Bishop B and explained the situation to him. He told me that he wasn't sure who Kathryn was but that he knew her roommates so he would definitely be willing to atleast speak with her and see if he could maybe help out. He said he was going out of town that weekend but if I hadn't heard from him by the middle of the next week to give him a call. So a week later I still hadn't heard from him so I called him and left him a message. And waited a week without hearing anything. So I called him again and left another message. And waited a week. And still nothing. So that's when Kyle and I decided to take action. We decided that Kyle should write Kathryn a little letter telling her that I'd taken him on as my attorney and that if I didn't receive the money by a specific date I was going to take her to court. It was a very professional letter and I think it scared Kathryn spitless. I'll see if I can't find a copy of the letter to post on here next time. I'm about all Kathryn-ed out at this point. So until next time....
1 comment:
Good for you! I think I totally would have done that too. Thank heavens for Kyle! What a nice guy to do that for you! I cant wait to hear whether or not your deposit back, and as far as you giving her $75, that was way way way nice. I would be fuming!! Your landlord should have stepped in more too, don't you think??
Post a Comment