Okay, so it might've taken me a lil bit longer than 2 days to get back to blogging about my wonderful dilemma. But here goes. So she called me up as I was driving home from work. And the conversation went a little something like this(this happened like 3 months ago so I'll just highlight the fun parts):
K: So I've been thinking about it and I'm willing to give you back $200 of the $400 deposit.
Me: Where do you get that # from?
K: Well basically it's $50 for cleaning and $150 to fix the door.
Me: I don't think it's really fair for you to hold me responsible for the cleaning when I cleaned it before I left. I'm sorry if the other people there didn't clean it before you got there.
K: No, this is not just 3 weeks of dirt. This is like 5 years worth of it.
Me: I'm sorry. I can guarantee you we all cleaned the place numerous times. I'm sorry if it's not to how you liked it.
K: Why are you being so childish about this?
Me: Excuse me, do you think you're better than I am or something?
K: Yah, right now I do.
Me: OH OK. Have you talked to Corinna and Celeste about this?
K: Yah, and they took responsibility for it and have actually helped me clean. You won't take responsibility for anything. They don't think you deserve your security deposit back either.
Me: Really, they said that? Interesting. Well, what's wrong with the door? It worked just fine when I left. It might not've locked but you could close it.
K: Well that's what I mean. It doesn't latch. It just flies open when someone else in the house shuts a door.
Me: Oh well yah, it did that to me too. You just have to push extra hard on it.
K: I've done that, I've tried everything.
Me: I'm sorry, but I really dont think that's gonna cost $150 to fix.
K: You wanna make a bet?
Me: My dad could fix it for free!
K: Well then why dont you have him come up here and fix it then?
Me: I'm sure he'd be happy to if you wanna pay for the gas money.
K: I'm not paying you anything more than what I've already offered.
Me: I'm sorry but I don't think these are reasons that should keep you from giving me my security deposit back. The way a security deposit works is you make a list of things when you move in that are broken, dirty whatever, but as long as you leave the place in basically the same condition minus the normal wear and tear you should get your security deposit back. I cleaned the place. I moved in when it was a mess..the shower curtain had mold on it, the door didn't latch, the window didn't close all the way, which by the way I fixed for you before I left, there was a lot that wasn't right about it but I didn't hold the girl ahead of me responsible for it because the place is old. That stuff happens.
K: Well I'm sorry you should've brought all that up with her. We're done discussing this.
And she hangs up on me. I immediately called my other 2 old roommates and guess what? Yah, that's right neither one of them answered...nor did they bother to return any of my phone calls. Yah, they knew they were in trouble.
Oh and then I check my email that night and this girl has the gall to send me this email:
Jamie- I wanted to send you an email to recap our discussion today.I am still willing to pay you half the deposit, but I am not willing to pay it in full. The door didn't work the day I moved in, nothing was clean, and you didn't bother finding out if there was a replacement roommate to talk over the contract until last week.I am willing to give you $200 (minus $150 for repairs and $50 for cleaning), and I think that is $200 too much. I am sorry you feel the apartment was in the same condition when you moved in, but you should have addressed that at the time of your move-in, not with me now.I would have told you this the first day I moved in, but I did not have any of your contact information. If you want any more than the $200, you will have to talk to Jerry or file a suite in small claims court. I believe I am being more than reasonable, but you will not budge on your stand. If you decide to settle with the $200, send me your address and I will mail you a check.
How thoughtful! As if I would forget a conversation in which you told me you thought you're better than I am. And how extremely generous are you....offering me HALF of what is rightfully mine. This girl does not bring out the best in me. Anyways, that's all for today. But definitely not the end of this little "situation" so be sure to look back in a few days for more.
No comments:
Post a Comment