Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Oh, what's in a name?

So I dont know about you guys but I've been planning my kids' names since I was like 12. Mayber younger, maybe older, but somewhere around there. And I know my sister's been doing it for a while now too. When I first started thinking of what I wanted to name my kids, I would choose names of characters that I liked. For example, I used to be a huge ER fan. So my kids were going to be Carter, Noah and Luka....after the hot doctors of course. To be honest, that's kinda what I still do occasionally. All I know for sure is that I don't want plain, common names for my kids. Although with names such as Apple and Bronx Mowgli these days, there are obviously a lot of others who share my desire and soon, the names that I would choose as the not plain and common will be the plain and common. So anyways, this past Sunday either while I was getting ready for church or while I was in sacrament I thought of some more names for my kids. Ronald, Richard, Reagan and Nixon. Ronald and Richard would be my boys' names and Reagan and Nixon would be my girls. And then when I needed to call them all inside I'd just yell Ronald, Reagan, Richard, Nixon! Get inside! And then I was like why stop there? Why not go for the sexiest men alive? Matthew, McConaughey, Hugh, Jackman! Or for girls, Kristen, Bell, Reese, Witherspoon. It is important however to choose names that could be gender neutral. Like Reagan. That's why that works. What if I had 1 boy and then a girl? I wouldn't really want to name my girl Jackman. Hm, then again, maybe I would. Ha, jk. Anyways, that was my Sunday morning thought process.

3 comments:

Shanna said...

I have ALL the names picked out for my children and I wrote them in my journal when I was like 13!! This is why moms get to name the babies, because we've been set on our names for at least 10 years before we actually get to use them. And I do love Reagan for a girl, it's so cute!

Carla said...

ummm so you're disturbed. Did you ever think about the complex your child will have for being named after a failed president who was part of one of the biggest scandals in modern history. Or how 'bout witherspoon... that's just begging to have kids make fun of you throughout childhood. All I can say is... your kids better be the coolest kids in school to pull off these names. Except for Richard of course, everyone will just call him Dick and it'll be all good.

The Lewis Family said...

um duh Carla, of course my kids will be the coolest...