Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Crazy Roommate Post #4

So I just got back from NC and now I'm bored at work and just not feelin so hot, so here I am. I would post about my trip home because it was filled with fabulous Delainey and Bronwen time and a trip to the zoo, but I left my camera at home and I really want to post pictures for those. So instead, another crazy roommate story. This one takes place back in May or June.

So I'm in charge of the cable/internet bill every month. And every month since like January I had done the bill the exact same way. My roommates only pay for internet so I've always split the internet cost plus the tax by four. Never heard any complaints, nada. So imagine my surprise when one morning after posting the bill I see a note written by the crazy roommate saying "Jamie, this is the tax for everything combined, what would it be if it were just the internet, not the phone and tv included?" Hmm...good question.


The next day I apologize to my other two roommates just saying look, I'm sorry, I never really thought about separating the taxes and to be honest, I'm not sure what the separate taxes are. They both say, whatever, it's not a big deal, it'd be like a difference of 50 cents, we dont care. So then that evening I'm in the kitchen alone with Katie and I just say, hey Katie, I talked with Celeste and Corinna and they don't really care and to be honest, I don't want to have to do the work to figure out what it would be. She says, oh I'll do it, don't worry. So then I ask her, Katie, it's been like this since the very beginning and you've never said anything before and it's been like this for like 5 months, is there a reason you're saying something now? Her answer: I just woke up and didn't like it. Oh. Ok. Good answer. I say, Oh really? You just woke up and didn't like it? She goes, yup. I'm like, you sure this had nothing to do with the A/C thing or the internet thing? She doesn't really answer, just says she just didn't like it and I was just like, okay, make sure you call them and figure out how much the tax is.


A few days later I go online to check the balance and I see that Katie has paid like a dollar less than every one else. I call Comcast and ask them and they're like there's really no set tax amount but it alternates between 7-12% or something like that. I'm not sure how Katie got her number so I go and ask her. I say, Katie, I was just wondering what the amount of tax was so that in the future I can make sure I do it correctly. Oh, I made it up she says. YOU DID WHAT? I could not believe it. I said, you just made it up? Do you have any idea how wrong that is?? Well, just so you know I did call and you would have to pay atleast 70 cents more. She gets mad and grabs some change she has on her dresser and starts counting it out. Here, take it, she says. No, Katie I don't want your money. I just want you realize that in the future you cant do that. It's wrong. Do you understand that? She just starts playing on her phone, on her mattress (which she has laid down in the doorway of her room since she was too hot. She got her way with the air but then decided to not use it and make everyone miserable by pulling a fan into the hallway so that it would blow more directly into her room and then laying her mattress in the doorway) and basically just plain ignoring me. So I say Katie, I'm not gonna leave until you tell me that you understand why I'm upset with you. So instead of talking to me, she lets out an exasperated sigh and gets up and runs downstairs, out of the house. Wow. I'm so done with her.

Fast forward 2 days. I've had it with Katie and her ridiculousness. So on Sunday morning I tell her that I think it would be a good idea for her to just get her own internet. First she throws a fit saying Jamie, why do you hate me so much...Jamie, you're not gonna give me a warning or anything? I say, well if you hadn't ran out of the house like a 2 yr old the other day I would've told you that's how I was feeling then but oh well. Jamie, please...blah blah blah. Then her attitude changes. Well, I can get it for free through work anyways. Oh really? Well then I think you should do that Katie because you're not using the internet here anymore. I can't trust you to pay the bills on time/correctly so I really just think it'd be best for you to get your own. And then she goes back to why do you hate me so much? Answer: BECAUSE YOU'RE CRAZY!! No, I didn't say that. I actually said Katie I don't hate you. And she says, whatever, I hear what you say about me. Oh really Katie? From who? Oh when I go out and tell people who I live with you can just tell by the looks on their faces that they've heard bad things about me. Well Katie, I've got news for you. I don't go out. I don't have friends here besides the people I work with and I can guarantee that these would not be the people you're talking about, so MAYBE you should look at the other two people we live with. Oh, well that makes me feel so much better! Sorry, just letting you know it's not me. And this conversation went on for about 1 hr. Her saying things about how I'm so mean to her/hate her....(apparently I told her she's ugly when in reality she had told me I wasn't cute and I said "well neither are you"...basically every reason she gave me was something she had said to me and I had thrown back in her face.) Oh and she told me pitiful stories about how she tries so hard to be nice to us...the fan in the hallway thing, this had happened about a month after the A/C situation. Apparently she had done that because she thought we couldn't afford to pay the power bill even though we had already told her it was okay to turn the air on. I explained to her this gesture would've been nice IF she had done it immediately after the A/C convo or even had offered to try this before turning the air on but a month after it just seemed like she was trying to make us feel sorry for her with this "woe is me" act. She couldn't believe I wouldn't even think she would do something like that. This conversation ended crazy roommate stories for about 2 months or so. However, it has been 2 months. So look forward to more crazy roommate posts in the future!

No comments: